Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ear Dope: Rico Love


I was listening to my Ipod on Shuffle and i heard this song from 2005 "Settle Down" By Rico Love, for those who dont know he is Rico love is Richard Butler Jr., 23, who you would think from looks he was your average material-obsessed, thugged-out MC. In fact, in this opportunistic world of hip hop where crime pays, he’s taking a higher road to success. “People hear me flossing in my lyrics, but I don’t mention selling dope not one time,” insists Love. “I’m not downing people who sell drugs, but that’s not the only option.”
That kind of thinking makes his old man proud. “I’ve always supported him because his foundation is right,” says Reverend Richard Butler Sr. But aside from his “just say no” mantra — perhaps a product of growing up a preacher’s son — there’s a lot more you should know about Rico Love.

Like me you probably remember him showing off on the frantic pop single “Settle Down,” from the soundtrack to Usher’s 2005 movie In the Mix. He’s the first artist to catch shine on Usher’s US Records. But before that, Rico Love was earning checks as the pen behind R&B joints, here is a little list of his joints u might know:

"Throwback" by Usher (feat. Jadakiss)
"All Because Of You" by Marques Houston (feat. Young Rome)
"I Wasn't Ready" by Marques Houston
"I Wish" by Omarion later done by Danity Kane
"I'm Gone Change" by Omarion
"U Got Me" by B5 (feat. P. Diddy)
"I Bet" by TLC (was the song Chilli and T-Boz performed with O'so Krispie, the winner of their UPN reality show R U the Girl, and made the album Now and Forever: The Hits)
"Seen the Light" by Chris Brown (feat. Rico Love)
"U Make Me Say" by Q originally recorded by Donell Jones
"Baby it's You" by Donell Jones
"You Didn't Love Me" by Donell Jones
"Silly of Me" by Donell Jones
"Want It From Me" by Danity Kane
"Could This Be Love" by One Chance
"Everything You Need" by Nephu
"Smile" by Lea
"Read My Mind" by Lea
"Love Me Like You Used To" by Megan Rochell
"Let It Go" by Tenesha
"All I Can Say" by Tank now by L2
"I Wish You Loved Me" by Tynisha Keli
"Click, Flash" by Ciara
"Energy" by Keri Hilson
"Love Like This" by Natasha Bedingfield (feat. Sean Kingston)
"Sweet Dreams" by Beyonce
"Radio" by Beyonce
"Hello Heartbreak" by Michelle Williams
"The Greatest" by Michelle Williams
"Lucky Girl" by Michelle Williams
"Turn The Lights Out" by Cassie
"Barely Breathe" by Pussycat Dolls
"Angel" by Natasha Bedingfield
"Year of the Lover" by Lloyd
"Encore" by Pleasure P
"Boyfriend #2" by Pleasure P
"Hunt 4 U" by Teairra Mari (feat. Pleasure P)


Love may be a writer but his main focus, however, is to deliver a positive message to listeners. “I want people to appreciate wealth but understand you don’t have to kill somebody to get that,” he says. “As an artist, if I don’t let people know that, then the blood is on my hands.” And that isn’t fresh or clean. Check out his OG single "Settle Down" along with a New joint "Money Right"





Money Right - Rico Love

2 comments:

Ms. Travelocity said...

yo thats crazy see we give all the props to the people who sings the songz but never notice who writes them I think song writers need more credit!!

Mr. Jones said...

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to give dude a listen.